I am a lover of all things carb . . and chocolate . . .oh and ice cream! Just like Oprah “I LOVE BREAD”. If I could, I would eat pasta daily. But, unfortunately for me pasta is not a very good friend of my waistline and I’m always looking for more creative ways to get in more veggies. Enter Spaghetti Squash.
Spaghetti squash is such a great food in that you can actually pair it with quite a lot of – veggies, meats and other yummy foods, like you would pasta. This post will be simply for how I like to cook spaghetti squash. In case you were wondering, my two favorite combos for it are with Bolognese sauce (usually leftover from dinner the night before) or with grilled zucchini, squash, tomatoes, cucumbers and some feta cheese (a favorite during the Summertime).
Now unfortunately to get to this yummy goodness you have to cut through the world’s toughest shell. No joke. This is actually something I dread. So, I have come up with a few helpful tips to make cutting the squash a little bit easier.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees
- To make the shell softer and easier for you to cut in half.
- Make slits around the spaghetti squash, ideally where you will cut it in half
- Use a fork and poke holes near the slits
- Microwave your squash for 6 minutes on high
- Be careful, as your squash will be toasty to the touch
- Cut your squash in half, following your slits
- Use a spoon to scoop out all the seeds
- Place your two halves in a 9×11 baking dish – lightly drizzle olive oil, seasoning on your halves – I like to use Mrs Dash No Salt Seasoning
- Place the halves upside-down in the baking dish
- Cover the bottom of the baking dish with water (just enough to cover the bottom of the dish so you won’t need much)
- Place in the oven for about 45 minutes
- Use a fork to “shred” the spaghetti squash
- Serve and enjoy!