There was a time when travelling – anywhere – meant I would fall off the wagon. It didn’t matter if I was heading back home by car, flying to my sister’s for a weekend of shenanigans or heading somewhere tropical for a getaway with my husband. It was always the same – unhealthy snacks or airport food and the idea that I would pack my workout gear “just in case”. That “just in case” never happened as they always came back home just as clean as when they left. What I have learned since beginning my #mombod journey is that I don’t have to be perfect, I just have to keep moving forward.
What does this mean?
- I have figured out what foods (or snacks) to pack in my carry-on
- I have planned ahead and packed a healthy meal option in case one doesn’t exist for my breakfast or lunch at my destination
- I have figured out what workouts can be done on-the-go
- I have learned to make a plan for myself ahead of my travels so I’m not winging-it while away
- I have learned if I do miss a workout that it’s not the end of the world, it’s not the end of my “diet” that I am creating a healthy lifestyle for myself and that perfection is not a requirement
What are my favorite / go-to flight snacks?
- Banana / grapes / apple / orange – I’m not always great at getting my portion of fruits in on a normal day but these are great to travel with. I like to put them pre-packed in the fridge, ready to grab and go whenever your flight is.
- Carrots with hummus – Snag yourself a couple of those pre-portioned hummus packs and some carrots. I also happen to enjoy sliced zucchini with hummus.
- Pre-portioned nuts – almonds, cashews, pistachios, walnuts (all natural – i.e. – unsalted, not chocolate covered, etc.)
- Single-serve string cheese
What are my go-to workouts?
- With Beachbody On Demand, you can workout anywhere you can bring your iPhone – with or without Wi-Fi
- Prior to leaving on my trip, I will make a game plan for what workouts I might like to do and I will make sure to download 5/6 of the workouts on the BOD app on my iPhone. This way if I have no access to Wi-Fi I am still covered.
- I am currently doing Insanity Max: 30, which makes it easy for me to pre-plan as I will simply download the next 5/6 workouts on my calendar. With this fitness program, you don’t need weights or any other equipment it uses your bodyweight with cardio
- Other go-to programs: 21 Day Fix Extreme – Pilates Fix Extreme uses a band which travels very easily; CIZE – who doesn’t love a good dance session, also without any fitness equipment.
- With any of these programs, you need very little space, about your heights worth of floor space and you are good to go!
My other travel notes:
- I like to have a look at potential meal / menu options. If we’re heading out to dinner at certain places, then I’ll have a look over the menu ahead of time and plan out what I will eat. This way I don’t feel rushed when it comes time to order and end up picking something spur-of-the-moment that I’ll regret later.
- I pack enough Shakeology single-serve packets for at least one a day, sometimes I plan for two, again just in case. I’ll typically have one for breakfast every day with some fruit so that I know that I am at the very least starting the day off with a serious dose of nutrition in my belly. On vacation I will mix it with ice and water or with my recent travels to the UK, coffee! No need for a blender or anything but my Shakeology cup.
- In the last 10 months, I plan my days based on my son’s naps / nap schedule. His naps typically last an hour and a half – but you never know. When we recently travelled to the UK, some days they were only 40 minutes, hence why I like to plan ahead. This way I can make the most of my “free time”. During nap #1 (aka his morning nap), I will use this time to get my 30-minute workout in and hopefully a shower. This way I get my workout out of the way early, start my day with a boost of energy and can enjoy whatever comes our way!
- If you want to stay on track I say have a plan. For me, I don’t plan to get up at a certain time in the morning as my son’s sleep can be unpredictable and for me getting enough sleep is important. So, I plan my workouts around naps instead. Whatever you do, make it a priority.
- Do NOT get down on yourself if you miss a workout. That doesn’t constitute the end of your journey. As long as you are moving forward that’s all that matters.
I’m not perfect and I won’t lie and tell you that I workout every single day and I eat healthy 100% of the time. I enjoy a glass of wine just as much as the next gal. I have simply learned that if I miss a workout or enjoy that glass of wine I am not derailing all of my efforts and remind myself this is a journey I am on. I focus on eating healthy at least 80% of the time. There will be bumps in the road. It is how you move forward that matters.
I am always working to become better, stronger, healthier. I am always working on being an amazing role model for my son. I am always working on being a better wife to my husband.
Don’t be afraid of traveling. Make a plan. And remember that no matter what happens your journey to being healthier continues.