Fall and winter are the perfect time to cozy up with a yummy bowl of soup. Butternut squash is one of my favorites so I thought why not add some apples, make it crockpot friendly and give you something extra special from my kitchen to yours!
Apple Butternut Squash Soup
Cooking Time: 6-8 hours
Yield: 8 servings
- 4 lbs. butternut squash
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 medium Jonathon (or Granny Smith) apples, peeled, chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
- 1 thin slice fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 2 tsp Honey
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp. Mrs. Dash No Salt Seasoning
- Prepare and cut the Squash into chunks
- Poke holes in the Squash using a fork
- Place in the microwave for 5 minutes to soften
- Peel the squash then cut and de-seed the squash
- Place all ingredients in crockpot
- Cook on low for 6 – 8hours
- Use immersion blender to blend until smooth.
- If you find your soup is too bitter, start by adding some honey to it and blend. Squash can vary in taste so you may need to amend this recipe as needed.
- Serve and enjoy!
21 DF: 3 Green, 1 Purple, ½ Red – per serving
244 Calories per serving